Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Medium’s Embedly platform helps thousands of developers and bloggers add rich content to their sites via a simple API, improving the web experience for millions of people. Our platform makes it easy for anyone to embed content, without having to know how every provider works.
We are looking for a mindful, empathetic, self-aware, and ambitious engineer to join our team who can help to bring the product to new heights, improving the experience for our customers and for the many people all over the web who see content powered by Embedly every single day. Some of our customers, in addition to Medium, include Reddit, The New York Times, MSNBC, and NPR.
As a full stack engineer working on Embedly, you’ll build new features from our backend infrastructure to the embed code to the UI. You’ll collaborate closely with the team and have the autonomy to improve the parts that you think need attention. You’ll sweat the details and make the whole place shine.
Who are you?
- You have 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- You have experience in programming and interacting with APIs.
- You consider yourself a generalist, with a willingness to work on both frontend and backend.
- You have experience building modern web applications.
- You are flexible, dedicated, and curious.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering and take a pragmatic approach.
- You draw inspiration from prior art, but are driven to innovate beyond it.
- You respectfully challenge your peers, and welcome being challenged.
- You are passionate about learning, and want to help us learn too.
We’d particularly love it if…
- You have experience working with oEmbed
This role can be based in New York, San Francisco or remote within the U.S.
As a part of Medium, Embedly fosters an inclusive, supportive, fun, yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.