On the Intent Understanding & Recommendation team, our vision is for all of Yelp to recognize each user’s unique needs and interests. Our platform enables personalization and contextualization of features across all of Yelp’s apps and websites. To do this, first our backend systems recommend relevant searches, filters, businesses, and places in the world, making it easy for users to specify what they want. Then, when users interact with these recommendations or anything else, we process their actions into semantic representations, for example mapping the text they’ve searched for to the most relevant business categories. Finally, we share this enriched data with a variety of other backend systems, enabling the features they power to perfectly match what the user wants. We’re scaling these systems into a platform that benefits more and more aspects of Yelp every day.
Are you intrigued by the challenge of building real-time recommender systems at scale? Do you want to work with diverse data types including text, geospatial, and concept taxonomies? And are you excited to impact both Yelp users and company-wide internal clients of a growing platform? If this sounds like you, join the team that makes tens of millions of people each month think, “Wow, Yelp understands exactly what I’m looking for!”
Where You Come In
- Design, build, and deploy systems that run 24/7 at ever increasing scale
- Collaborate with other engineering teams across
- Yelp, bringing them onto our platform and enabling them to build features that deeply understand user intent
- Create new ways of delighting users, from idea brainstorming to experiment analysis (and, of course, all the backend development and data mining in between!)
What it Takes to Succeed
- Based in Canada
- Prior hands-on experience in internet-scale systems design, and an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs
- An ability to translate ambiguous data from our users and clients into actionable engineering milestones
- A craving for new knowledge and challenges
- Experience in Java and/or Python
- BA/BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Math, or related field
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.